- January 5, 2019
- Posted by: khawaja senan
- Category: Heavy Equipment
Heavy machinery, especially Mining, Industrial or Agriculture, requires constant maintenance. Interruptions are expensive and safety is a priority that we should not overlook.
Here are five important points for the maintenance of heavy machinery.
- Give the responsibility of the team to only one person, we know that many times in large teams the construction companies or companies have multiple operators. But there must always be a team leader, who delivers and receives the machinery.Inspections should be done with a checklist should monitor the correct operation of the equipment. Operator training should usually be done by professionals. Operator manuals can be reviewed for any job. They can even be rewritten in a simpler language. They can provide a short manual to each operator for easy reference.
- Add and test lubricants frequently. Lubricants reduce the friction of any moving part. Having a lubrication maintenance log increases the life of the machinery and its parts. Lubrication is the main and most important stage of maintenance.Look for signs of oil leakage or oiling of pistons. Check oil seals. Be sure to use the proper lubricant. There are specific classes of oil and grease for each component. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Vibration, shocks, high temperatures, friction and age contribute to the deterioration of heavy machinery. Vibration can come from non-aligned gears and belts. Shocks due to accidents or an operator with poor driving technique. High temperatures can be due to prolonged use, friction, poor lubrication or not lubricated.
The age of the equipment affects many key components. Over time, the seals wear out, dry out and break. The screws will loosen and change shape. Age is a factor to monitor on the team. If you discover wear and tear on any moving part of your machinery, act quickly to make the necessary replacement or adjustment.
- Keeping the machinery in a clean place can be a complicated point because we normally leave the machinery in the workplace. But we must allocate a place with a cleaner environment. The seals should be inspected regularly to ensure they are kept in good condition.
The filters should be checked and changed regularly.Respirators should be kept clean to avoid creating a vacuum in the cabin. The electronic board of the cabin is susceptible to damage. This affects the clutch, for example. The machinery that is not going to be used for a while if possible to stay indoors. Exposure to wind, sun and rain can lead to oxidation and deterioration. The machinery should be checked from time to time if it is not in use.
- Having a maintenance and repairs logbook, keeping records of fluid changes, tires, tracks and electrical systems are among the components that should be reviewed regularly for preventive maintenance. Know what your machinery needs to schedule maintenance. Here are some examples.
- The transmissions have moving parts that need changes or repair. Gearboxes should be checked for lubrication, vibration and damage to parts. Friction materials, seals, joints and posts. The gears and shafts usually last a long time and do not have to be replaced frequently. Train components require constant supervision. Check pulleys and belts on CVT transmissions for alignment.
Test the oil to diagnose problems. Change filter frequently. The bearings are very strong so they must be handled smoothly and are vital to the operation of heavy machinery.
To conclude, after these 5 steps can considerably extend the service time of heavy machinery, improve performance and avoid the change or purchase of parts by wear. You can also review the rental options of equipment and heavy machinery if you do not have the infrastructure to maintain this type of equipment; it is an option that can be viable for short periods.