- April 15, 2019
- Posted by: khawaja senan
- Category: tips
The costs of operation and possession of the machinery can be kept low for contractors or vehicle owners if action plans are made in which the quantity of fuel consumed and the performance of a tank should be known primarily.
It is necessary to distinguish the two scales of basic measurement in relation to the use of fuel in order to estimate costs and quantify the appropriate use of it.
– Fuel consumption: It will be measured in relation to the liters consumed in unit of time generally expressed in hours. Being:
Fuel consumption = (Liters consumed / hours used)
– Fuel efficiency: Represents the amount of work done and measured in units of material moved by a machine per unit of fuel consumed.
Fuel efficiency = (Units of material moved / fuel consumed)
- Units of material will be expressed in metric tons, cubic meters or cubic yards.
- Fuels consumed will be expressed in liters or gallons.
Once the scales of measurement have been differentiated, the consumption and efficiency of each machine should be monitored through a logbook, remember to consider the type of work performed, the amount of work performed by volume or weight, as well as the registration of the operator in charge during the day for each machine since this will influence both values.
The fuel consumption and the efficiency of the machine are linked to factors such as:
- The general condition of the vehicle: Referred to the general conditions of hydraulic, electrical systems, etc. Faulty teams can see their operations slowed by up to 25% compared to vehicles that do not have them, which translates into lower efficiency and higher operating / possession costs. Schedule a maintenance schedule to keep your equipment in the best possible condition.
- The right selection of tools for the vehicle: Depending on the nature of the vehicle and the work to be done, consult the list of attachments that are adaptable to your machine, such as service ladles, dozer blades, rippers, etc. Remember that size is not the important thing if not the specificity, adaptation to a certain type of task and environment in which it is worked.
- The experience of the operator: Make sure that each operator has received the proper training to handle the vehicle and that he / she knows the elementary aspects of the operation manual, as well as the scope of the machine and the requirements of the work. A trained operator can improve the performance of the vehicle by several tens of percentage units compared to others.
- Downtimes and machine idle: The idle times of a running machine generate fuel costs and increase costs over life. Make sure your equipment works full days with little idle, in this way you can get real values of fuel efficiency.
- The type of technology implemented in the engine of the machine: The constant improvements that manufacturers provide in new generation vehicles are focused on the improvement of fuel consumption and the reduction of emissions to the environment. Compare the consumption of newly manufactured equipment and consider renewing your vehicles whenever new ones are within an acceptable margin of efficiency.
Improvement of the performance and productivity of the machinery.
The performance of a machine can be defined as the amount of work done in a certain fraction of time, this is directly linked to productivity. In the movement of lands will be associated to the volume of material per hour: Excavated, disassembled, cut, compacted, transported, etc.
What is the use of knowing the performance and productivity of a machine?
Performance and productivity will provide information of vital importance to carry out planning processes, cost estimation, quotations and establishment of activity schedules.
Which machine is more productive?
The selection of an optimal vehicle for the execution of a specific task will influence productivity, to choose properly what type of machine will be used in the work, it will be necessary to carry out an analysis in which it is considered:
- Type of work to be done.
- Working environment (type of floor, work space, dimensions, etc.).
- Specialization of functions.
These factors facilitate the selection of the type of vehicle that will be used, provide information on the approximate dimensions needed, required ranges and the characteristics for the tools (load capacity, volume, etc.).
What factors affect the performance of machinery and how to improve productivity?
It is considered that a vehicle can reduce its performance in relation to:
- The inefficient operation: The establishment of effective techniques for the operator maximize performance and productivity. To do this, consider optimal attack angles according to the manufacturer’s specifications, distances, load limits, turns of “n” number of degrees, cutting depths, range, maximum capacities, etc. This data may be provided by the equipment manufacturer.
- Natural conditions of the work environment: The physical conditions of the work area, among which the topography, humidity level in the soil, etc. are included. They will provide necessary information in the selection of one or more teams, as well as the strategies for the establishment of communication, supply and resolution of problems associated with adaptation.
- Delays generated by routine processes: Unavoidable delays are considered routine maintenance processes, shift changes, fuel supplies, etc. Consider establishing schedules in which such actions are executed.
- Related to the conditions of the vehicle: A machine with mechanical, electrical or structural faults will significantly reduce its productivity and performance, a common but little known example is associated with the contamination of the hydraulic system in which it can be reduced up to 20% efficiency of a machine, which translates into two days of reduced net productivity in ten operations compared to equipment operated under optimal conditions. The programmed maintenance of vehicles allows to reduce downtimes caused by faults.
Considering each of the factors mentioned above translates into an improvement in performance and productivity when executing functions. Please contact the manufacturer of the machines for more information.